Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Private World of Georgette Heyer by Jane Aiken Hodge


Synopsis:

The classic biography of Georgette Heyer is, finally, back in print and will delight Heyer fans everywhere. Lavishly illustrated, and with extracts from her correspondence and references to her work, The Private World reveals a formidable and energetic woman with an impeccable sense of style and above all, a love for all things Regency.

My take:
I didn't read the book, but skimmed once I found that the author, in going over each Heyer novel, actually "blows" the premise of each book (many of which I haven't read yet). The author clearly states that info on Miss Heyer is rare so I feel that she went in depth on Heyer's novels since she in actuality didn't have much info on Heyers own life. Just not what I thought the biography was going to be about. It was more literary critique than biography.

The part's I did skim-especially about Heyer's ardent quest for privacy and her meticuluous research was fascinating though. Maybe I'll try the book again after I've read all of Heyer's books.

3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment