Thursday, July 30, 2009

Great Old Romance Cover #1

Starting today, I thought I would share a old Romance Cover that I liked-a new one each day. My first choice is The Clandestine Betrothal by Alice Chetwynd Ley. I chooose this cover as this is one of about a dozen Romance Covers drawn in the 70's by the now hugely famous fantasy artist Boris Vallejo! I didn't even realize Boris had done any Romance Covers until I received a book in a book lot on ebay and immediately recognized the Boris sig on the cover. For those who do not know who Boris Vallejo is-he's a giant in the Science Fiction and Fantasy World-most commonly known for many Conan The Barbarian art, but SO much more.

I love the fact that even though the book is set in the Regency Era-the clothing on the cover is appears to be from the earlier Georgian period. This was VERY common for Regency Romances in the 70's and 80's. Accuracy didn't seem to be needed for these publishers back then-LOL. It's still a beautiful cover though. The other picture is one of Boris' Fantasy works for comparison:)


No comments:

Post a Comment